Many carvers find it difficult and frustrating to sharpen their V tool correctly. No longer! Here is a logical, step by step method that will nail the V tool for you once and for all.
To get the most out of this series, please read the following notes:
1. I show you a hand sharpening method. I strongly suggest you follow the process like this, by hand, at least once. This slower method will give you a deep understanding of what it is you are doing, and the exactly what you are looking for.
2. Be patient and as accurate as you can. Keep looking at the edge and bevels to monitor what you are doing.
3. Complete each step so your V tool looks like the end picture before moving on to the next step. This is really important. Each step lays the foundation for the next.
4. Once you can confidently sharpen your V tool correctly by hand, by all means use power sharpening to speed up the process. But maintain the accuracy, particulary the cutting angles and edge squareness.
5. Subscribing members can download here a PDF with notes for this lesson and a crib sheet of the various steps to have beside you while you work.
6. Watch out for the star of this introductory video, Mr. Brick...
Lastly, For a complete look at sharpening your woodcarving gouges, see my book: 'Woodcarving, Tools, Materials & Equipment, Vol.1'.